resourcesABOUT MT AUTHOR GUIDELINES CLASSIFIEDS EDITORIAL CALENDAR MEDIA GUIDE MASSAGE MART SCHOOLS & EDUCATION FEEDBACK
Update from the International AIDS Conference
The 21st International AIDS Conference in Durban, South Africa, brought together more than 15,000 of the world's leading scientists, activists, funders, policy makers, and consumers from 153 countries.
Going Beyond Just Feeling Good
We all know that most patients come to us for some pain complaint: neck pain, back pain, sciatica, carpal tunnel, etc. We also all know that acupuncture is a great first-line care for these issues, as well as supporting overall health and wellness.
Six Things Every DC Should Know About the Zika Virus
The Zika outbreak continues to spread across the continental United States and U.S. territories. We offer this brief overview on this important public health problem for the practicing doctor of chiropractic.
Getting Paid by Medicare Is Getting a Major Adjustment
The 2015 Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act (MACRA) was signed into law to implement a new approach to clinician payments and replace the Sustainable Growth Rate formula.
Using the Lens of Chinese Medicine
One of the most common medications I see in clinical practice on a daily basis is fluoxetine or Prozac. Consequently, I hear many complaints concerning the side effects of this medication and am frequently asked by patients to help manage these side effects with acupuncture and Chinese medicine.
Treatment Success at the Won Institute
According to the World Health Organization's 2003 report titled, "Acupuncture: Review and Analysis of Controlled Clinical Trials," acupuncture has been shown to improve many physical, emotional, and mental conditions.
Treating Peripheral Neuropathy: Multi-Faceted Approach Including Laser Therapy
Peripheral neuropathy affects at least 20 million people in the United States1 and nearly 60 percent of all people with diabetes suffer from diabetic neuropathy. Many suffer from the disorder without ever identifying the cause.
U.S. Olympians Have a DC in Their Corner
It's probably old news to you that doctors of chiropractic play an increasingly prominent role in treating athletes, from youth sports participants to weekend warriors, to elite / professional competitors.
ITB Syndrome: Treat the Tensor Fascia Latae
Iliotibial band syndrome is usually the result of repetitive knee flexion, such as in runners or cyclists. Pain may be experienced in the knee and/or the hip. The patient may express a sense of the hip dislocating, popping or snapping.
Decoding the Mystery of Medical Insurance Acceptance
In the constantly evolving profession of acupuncture, one of the least understood areas is medical insurance acceptance. The profession is filled with controversy surrounding this topic: Is it ethical?
Upgrade to "Parker 2.0" in Las Vegas
Continuing your education and refining your practice: two key elements of a successful chiropractic career. Parker Seminars promises both as it celebrates its 65th anniversary in Las Vegas next February, according to Parker University President, Dr. William Morgan, and seminar consultant Dr. Mark Sanna.
Pediatric Asthma: A Case Study
I have had very good success with pediatric asthma, combining acupuncture with Chinese herbal products. Treatment is given over four to eight months, twice monthly, with herbal formulas rotated every month.
Power to the Patient
Against a backdrop of splintered political parties, polarizations within nations, civil unrest, and distrust of established government (such as the growing anti-Washington, D.C. sentiment) comes the not-so-surprising finding that health care authorities and practitioners (with perhaps the exception of insurers) are turning over more and more powers to the individual patient.
First Annual ICD-10 Updates Take Effect
Yes, there was an update to ICD-10 codes on Oct. 1. It was a regular update to the diagnosis coding system and will take place every Oct. 1, just as it did when the ICD-9 system was in place.
Natural Cancer Prevention: Pomegranate for the Prostate
In recent years, the ingestion of pure pomegranate juice (8 ounces per day) has been shown in clinical studies with human subjects to slow, and to some degree, reverse, the progression of prostate cancer – the second leading cause of cancer death in North American men.
National Board Apologizes for Testing Issues
The National Board of Chiropractic Examiners (NBCE) has issued a formal apology following a series of computer-based testing malfunctions that impacted two separate examinations (March and June 2016) and caused "widespread confusion and frustration" to the nearly 1,500 examinees taking the tests.
Workers' Back Pain: Causes, Costs & Solution
You will want to share two important papers published in the past several months. Why? When read separately, each provides valuable information relevant to your patients, community and practice; together, they tell a compelling story.
Dysautonomia: The Medical Condition You May Already Be Treating
TCM practitioners have spent thousands of years healing patients without knowing or needing the names of their diseases as defined by allopathic medicine. We have syndrome names that are both poetic and efficient.
Four Ways to Attract Patients
Acupuncturist A has been in practice for six years and has struggled since day one. She spends as much time and money on marketing as she can, but since her practice is slow, her budget isn't that big.
Integrative Cancer Care: Chiropractic for Chemotherapy-Induced Hiccups
Hiccups (singultus) are a frequent occurrence during cancer treatment. The cause of the hiccups may be the chemotherapy drug itself, such as Cisplatin; or the prophylactic use of corticosteroids such as Decadron, which is used to prevent nausea and/or vomiting.
October, 2004, Vol. 04, Issue 10
The 10 Commandments of Prosperity
By Cary Bayer
When asked by massage therapists how to attract prosperity, I give them the 10 Commandments of Prosperity:
1. Thou shalt do work thou lovest, letting others prosper thee.As a massage therapist, you've mastered half of this commandment. You focus on filling your appointment book, but why not fill other massage therapists' books, too, by allowing one or more to work for you? Expansive thinking invites prosperity.
2. Thou shalt awaken prosperity consciousness. Gandhi said, "Everyone who will, can hear the Voice. It is within everyone, but like everything else, it requires previous and definite preparation." Believing consciously that if you do what you love, money will follow is different from believing unconsciously that when you do what you love, bankruptcy will follow. One excellent preparation uses affirmations. One for massage therapists is:
Writing your doubts releases them. The new affirmation creates an expanded viewpoint. Write affirmations 10 times daily for a month, then say them 10 times daily, with feeling, until their truths manifest.
3. Thou shalt save a tenth of thy net income. Deposit at least 10 percent of your net income into various savings accounts linked to your checking account. I once had 13 savings accounts: for home improvement, consumer electronics, vacation, house down payment, investing, etc. Open one for advanced massage training.
4. Thou shalt keep a Success Journal. Olympic champs visualize winning performances, as do business leaders. Massage therapists can empower consciousness by recording daily successes - a client gained, a present received, etc. On days where "everything went wrong," look harder. Do this before bed for two minutes.
5. Thou shalt enliven enthusiasm. Many successful leaders have had more adventures with the mirror than Alice in Wonderland. Speak energetically to your reflection in the mirror; say the word "enthusiasm." Don't mind feeling foolish; self-consciousness gives way to excited consciousness and higher vibrations that attract clients. The English word enthusiasm comes from the Greek word, entheos, meaning a god within.
6. Thou shalt financially support God's work. Tithing, or giving 10 percent of your income to your Higher Power or Universe, is among the most powerful prospering practices around. It began with Old Testament patriarchs and has been used by millions to attract millions. Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and Joseph were extremely wealthy, knowing God as their financial sources. The Bible says: "Thou shalt remember Jehovah, thy God, for it is He that giveth thee power to get wealth," (Deuteronomy, 8:18); Jacob said of tithing: "Of all that Thou shalt give me, I will surely give the tenth unto Thee," (Genesis, 28:20); If giving away 10 percent terrifies you so that you're afraid to try it, start with one percent and work your way up. Tithe to your church or spiritual organization; if you do not have one, tithe to a charitable organization of your choosing.
7. Thou shalt get out of debt quickly. Since debt debilitates the human spirit, get out of it as fast as possible, and before investing. Stock markets yield 10 percent averages yearly, while debt costs are much higher - sometimes as much as 22 percent. Recording cash expenditures for 30 days is the start of a spending plan, which gives clear pictures of how you want to allocate financial resources. It helps see the relationship between money coming in and going out, which lets you know when you can be free of debt. If you spend more than you bring in, you have three choices: increase income, decrease spending, or both.
8. Thou shalt buy shares in well-managed companies whose products and services thou likest, then hold for the long term. Why settle for receiving income only from massages when you can make money by letting your money work? That's the principle behind letting your principal earn interest. Unfortunately, interest today isn't too interesting. Stock markets have averaged annual 10 percent returns.
9. Thou shalt forgive everyone. For all its excellence, the Wall Street Journal fails to inform readers that forgiveness is among one of the fastest ways to prosper. The following three-part completion letter "completes" you with someone you hold strong unresolved emotions toward.
10. Thou shalt pay thy bills promptly. Do this, and you don't have any bills to pay - a liberating feeling. The longer you procrastinate, the longer you worry about bills. Go for freedom, not struggle.
Click here for more information about Cary Bayer.
Join the conversation
Comments are encouraged, but you must follow our User Agreementcomments powered by Disqus
Keep it civil and stay on topic. No profanity, vulgar, racist or hateful comments or personal attacks. Anyone who chooses to exercise poor judgement will be blocked. By posting your comment, you agree to allow MPA Media the right to republish your name and comment in additional MPA Media publications without any notification or payment.